Dermapen Skin Needling
The aim of skin needling is to promote collagen and elastin production in your skin for rejuvenation.When skin needling causes microscopic channels on the skin trough medical grade, stainless steel needles, the natural healing response is stimulated for healing.The tiny channels improves penetration of the product that complements the healing process. This combined effect can help to improve irregularities on the skin like fine lines, pigmentation, stretch marks, and acne or surgical scars.
The stages of wound healing comes in 3 stages:
- Inflammation - The skin becomes red as bacteria, debris, and dead skin are removed. Platelets in your blood also act to clot blood and release growth factors that attract dividing cells to the wound for repair.
- Proliferation - Blood capillaries begin to regrow while secreting collagen and fibronectin that rebuilds new, firmer skin. The newly formed skin cells begin to divide and migrate to the wound.
- Remodelling - Collagen remodels and realigns the new skin while scar tissue is flattened. Excess cells are removed by the body’s white blood cells.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimises pores
- Smoothes coarse, thickened skin
- Reduces acne scars and stretch marks
- Overall rejuvenation for plump, firm skin
Ideal Number of Sessions
Ideally, 4 to 6 skin needling sessions should be sought. This is the minimum required to rejuvenate the skin and while acne scars, sun damaged skin, and heavily scarred skin may require more sessions. At least 4 to 8 weeks (6 to 8 weeks for those with darker skin) should be allowed between sessions for best results.
What does it feel like?
Pressure akin to touch is felt during the process. All pain is numbed due to the topical anaesthetics that will be applied prior to the procedure.
Pre-treatment care and precautions
- Avoid unprotected ultraviolet ray exposure (such as from the sun) for a minimum of 4 weeks before your treatment, as well as throughout the duration of your treatments.
- Apply broad-spectrum sun protection of at least SPF 30+ (UVB/UVA) daily.
- Prepare your skin for treatments and enhancing their results by using exfoliating skincare products recommended by your dermal therapist.
- Refrain from using prescription vitamin A supplements or strong over-the- counter retinols at least 5 days prior to your treatment (unless advised otherwise).
- Continue to take anti-viral medication prior to treatment if you have a history of herpes or cold sores to proactively prevent an onset caused by the procedure.
- Any areas treatment with muscle relaxants must be completely healed before the treatment may be performed. This means that no swelling, bruising, discomfort, or redness may be present on the skin prior to treatment.
- Refrain from causing unnecessary trauma to the skin, such as from waxing, during the healing phase of the treatment.
If you have any concerns pertaining to lifestyle or medication changes during your treatment, please contact the clinic. This will help us provide you with the best possible treatment outcome.
- Oozing and weeping of treated areas is expected immediately after treatment, as well as redness, swelling, and skin sensitivity
- Dryness and flaking may occur 2 to 3 days after treatment
- Refrain from using perfumed moisturisers and lotions, as well as those that contain active ingredients such as retinols, glycolic acids, and vitamin C. However, do moisturise during the healing phase with unscented products until your skin is no longer sensitive, followed by a prescribed skincare regime.
- Apply broad-spectrum sun protection of at least SPF 30+ (UVB/UVA) daily, and avoid unnecessary sun exposure.
- Minimise contact with water for 4 to 6 hours after your chemical peel.
- Avoid exercise or other activities that produce heat for 24 to 48 hours.
- Avoid contact with chlorinated water for 24 to 48 hours.
- Refrain from picking or pulling at crusting skin as it may cause infections that result in scarring.
- Refrain from waxing or any other forms of unnecessary trauma to the skin during the healing phase.
Should you sense any cause for concern, please contact the clinic immediately for further post-treatment care instructions.